Important Aspects to Consider when Building a Timber Frame House
According to the UK Timber Frame Association (UKTFA), timber frame is the fastest growing method of construction in the UK. In fact, it accounts for about 75% of the self-build market.
Its popularity is not unjustified, considering there are plenty of advantages to building a timber frame house. Here are some benefits worth mentioning:
- Even though they are often referred to as a lightweight form of construction, these homes are strong and durable, not just beautiful.
- Timber framing is an eco-friendly construction method. This type of structure meets the trending requirements for building homes with minimal environmental impact.
- Wood frame houses don’t require interior structural walls. Therefore, they usually take less time to construct than masonry ones.
As with designing any new home, building a timber frame house requires thinking things through. Here are some significant aspects you should keep in mind to achieve optimal results.
THE TIMBER FRAME DESIGN
A wood frame structure is a sculptural component of the interior design. One of the main reasons why home builders choose timber framing has to do with how it incorporates into the design of the house. But selecting the right frame plan can be quite a challenge.
We recommend you do some in-depth research and plan things carefully beforehand. Only choose a frame plan after you’ve considered these things:
- Your budget. Make sure your expectations are in sync with what you can afford.
- How many rooms you want (include additional bathrooms, office spaces, and guest rooms). This aspect is imperative as it will help you work out square footage.
- The home style that appeals to you the most. When you envision your dream home, do you picture a modern house or a more traditional one?
- Your site. Choose a design plan that makes the most of the available views and natural light. It’s a great way to ensure you truly take advantage of your land’s value.
It might be tempting to rush this part of the building process, but it’s important to think about it in detail before you make any commitments. There are plenty of resources you can access to get ideas, like YouTube videos, for instance.
MAKE YOUR TIMBER FRAME HOUSE BETTER WITH INSULATION
A wood frame house is known to reduce energy bills in the long run.
However, energy-efficiency is also about reaching certain insulation standards and airtightness, among other things.
You can’t just choose timber over concrete and assume it’s enough for your house to achieve the desired thermal performance.
Timber is a naturally insulating material, but you can further improve the thermal efficiency of your home and minimise costs.
By fitting your home with high-quality insulation. This way, you can add significant additional thermal performance without breaking the bank.
Our insulation products are easy to handle and install and have a life expectancy of over 50 years.
Want to learn more? You should get in touch with us as soon as possible.
We’ll make sure you receive a free insulation sample pack containing product samples and data sheets. You’ll get a better sense of how our products can help you with your project.
UNSURE WHERE TO START?
Our FREE guide gives you all the information on saving time and money when insulating your home, and how to really make a difference to the comfort of your rooms.